because sometimes my synapses actually connect, and a coherent thought results...

21 December 2007

Frist Psot :-)

Yeah, I'm doing the blog thing. I figure, what the hell, maybe somebody'll read this crap -- at the very least, it's a journal of my past, which becomes more substantial as time goes by.

Anywho, I discovered a few things tonight:
  1. I can hoof it from W 6th St. to E 9th & Lakeside in 8:00 flat.
  2. The 4:45pm #39F outbound can do it in 7:30. Sonuvabitch.
So, while I was standing at the corner with 20 minutes or so to spare, it struck me -- this town has what can best be described as a cubic assload of police forces. Every municipality has their own, RTA has their own, CMHA has their own, Cuyahoga County has the Sheriff's Department, federal offices have the Federal Protective Service, CSU & CWRU each have their own (with Case's being augmented by the non-municipal University Circle Police Department); the list seems endless. The kicker for me tonight was seeing an SUV bearing the livery of an agency I hadn't noticed before -- the Cleveland Clinic Police (the Clinic web site doesn't make much mention of them, though).

Now, don't get me wrong -- I don't have anything against the police in general, and you can be damn sure if I have a problem that requires professional law enforcement intervention, I want them there PRONTO. Unfortunately, since September 11, 2001, society in general has chosen to sanctify the entire class, forgetting that these are human beings inside these uniforms, with all of the failings and frailties that accompany that.

I have the utmost respect for those that go above & beyond the call, or even those who just do their job, but I don't give a free pass to anyone. If anything, I think if you put on the uniform, you're ASKING to be held to a higher standard, and should expect it.

Unfortunately, every once in a while, you get a yahoo that parodies like this are made of:


No comments: