because sometimes my synapses actually connect, and a coherent thought results...

18 February 2008

my latest time sink...

Thanks to one of my co-workers, I've been introduced to an online game known simply as Trukz. In this game, you assume the role of an over-the-road truck driver, armed with a small amount of cash, a broken-down truck (purchased with a portion of the aforementioned cash), and a desire to make a living for yourself.

The game play has two modes: real-time, where each hour's leg costs a fatigue point that is recouped in the next hour, and deadlines loom large, or casual, where you have thirty days to complete a route. Right now, I'm playing real-time, because I'm finding that I like the challenge. Also, I'm an independent for the time being, although in my first 24 hours of existence, I've been solicited to join no fewer than 30 companies.

Company employment offers the stability of contract work, along with assistance toward cost of fuel repairs, and tickets, but there is no such thing as a free lunch -- the company takes a percentage of the profits from every run you complete. How large that percentage is, and what the company offers back in return, varies and adds great depth to the game dynamic.

This should prove to be a fun experience. If you want to unleash your inner BJ McKay, come join me. Look for JeTDoG (my other common nom de 'net), or my friend Bulldozer (who got me started in this, and is affiliated with Bulldog Trucking). See ya on the open road...

No comments: